District 14 Commander Monthly Comments
I pray that this communication finds you and your families in good health and spirit. The Department had a highly successful mid-winter session, and our district was represented very well. The National Commander in Chief put out some pertinent information involving membership and the importance of elected and appointed Officers within our Post executing their duties and responsibilities that they swore an obligation to do. The State Commander is intending to put numerous Post on suspension for the following; not paying their mandatory donations to the VFW programs, not completing the required VPRs in accordance with (IAW) the by-laws, failure to submit audits, 990 reports and insurance documents on time and to the department. He further emphasized that Post Commanders must ensure that the Post are doing what it is supposed to be doing IAW the by-laws and responsibilities outlined in the State SOP.
Post Commanders and Comrades, we must begin to attack our Retention and Recruitment goals. Our membership goals remain the same, achieve 100%+ for each Post within our District, add or convert 33 annual members to Life (3 per Post) and 11 Life members to any level Legacy Life (1 per Post) and keep our retention above 90%. These are a few membership benchmarks for each Post; 85% by December 31, 2020, 95% by February 26, 2021 and 100% by April 30, 2021.
I’m introducing a new campaign for ALL Post within District 14; Operation "CALL" to Action is a campaign to assist the Post Commanders and Staff to telephonically contact at least 10 x continuous (annual) members a week and speak with them of the critical importance of renewing their membership. Post Commanders will have the Post Quartermaster print a roster of all annual members and with the assistance of the Post membership chairman, Post Senior/Junior Vice Commanders, and various members of the district staff, will each select 10 members that they will contact for the week. This process will continue every week until all annual members have been contacted. Post Commanders are expected to notify your respective staffs and have these rosters printed and execution to begin at your earliest opportunity.
- Mandatory donations: National Home for Children, National Military Services ($100 payment to Nationals)
- Report your community service!
- VPR Deadlines; Vietnam Peace Accord due 25th of February.
- Commanders Call Zoom on the 11th of February @7pm.
- VPR, Special Project Observing the 100th Texas VFW Birthday!
- 2nd Quarter Post Audits were due on January 31st.
- 2019 ISR Form 990 was due December 21st. You must make a copy of the front page and forward it to John (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Department HQs ASAP! Failure to provide an update to the Department by the 15th of February will result in your Post being suspended.
- State Commanders Homecoming, San Antonio, TX, 11-14 March
- Start preparing for your Post elections and the Election of Post Delegates
Comrades, in closing, we must be proactive not reactive, knock out our mandatory observances and programs. Keep up the good work and if you need any assistance do not hesitate to contact me or the staff. We are ONE TEAM, READY & FORWARD!
Carlo S. Davis
Carlo S. Davis
Gold Legacy Life Member
"No One Does More for Veterans"