District 14          
Veterans of Foreign Wars Texas
parade horses


District 14 Service Officer

Page 2


There is a new non-profit organization called the Military Veterans Peer Network that any Post can use for its comrades and non-member veterans. To get more information go to this link. http://www.milvetpeer.net/


Texas VFW has a network of volunteer service officers at every VFW Post.  These volunteers can assist a veteran for information on resources available to the veteran. Texas VFW contracts with the Texas Veterans Commission (TVC) for VFW Accredited VA Claims Benefits Advisors.  TVC VA Claims Benefits Advisors are full time professionals that directly assist the veteran with claims for assistance and serve as the veterans advocate in all dealings with the Veterans Administration.  They are provided at no cost to the veteran.

For general questions or requests for information on your veterans benefits please email us at waco.vfw@tvc.state.tx.us

Sandra Covin located at the VA Regional Center in Waco, Texas can be reached at (254) 299-9959. sandra.covin@tvc.state.tx.us

Julio Harros located in Houston, Texas can be reached at (713) 383-2750.

For a complete listing of TVC Offices click this link. http://www.tvc.texas.gov/documents/tvc_directory.pdf

VA Federal Benefits for Service Members, their Dependents and Survivors.    

There are federal benefits available for qualified service members, including compensation and pension, health care, vocational rehabilitation & employment, education & training, home loans, life insurance, dependents & survivors, and burial benefits.

A VFW Service Officer will:

  • Offer research and advice to veterans who wish to handle their own claims.
  • Assist veterans who are filing original claims for compensation and/or
    pension with the Department of Veterans Affairs and complete the required
    VA forms on behalf of the claimant.
  • Assist veterans in reopening claims for service-connected disabilities and
    complete the required VA forms.
  • Follow up on status of claims filed by veterans with the VA Regional Office.
  • File Notice of Disagreement with the VA Regional Office if a veteran
    believes the decision made by the VA was incorrect.
  • Review statements of the case from the VA regarding denials of claim and
    assist veterans with the preparation of responses.
  • Assist veterans or surviving spouses in the preparation of appeals for
    denial of claims and file the appeals with the local VA Regional Office for forwarding to the Board of Veterans Appeals in Washington, D.C.
  • Complete VA Forms other than for original claims.
  • Answer/research telephone inquiries regarding medical, death/burial and
    other miscellaneous benefits.

As the largest organization of combat veterans, we understand the frustrations that can arise with making a VA claim. Our skilled VFW Veterans Service Officers helps you wade through all the bureaucratic red tape, offering you a better opportunity to get the disability claim you deserve.

You don’t even need to be a VFW member to take advantage of this free service. As a veteran, this is a service you’ve earned.

Listed below is the point of contact and phone number of District 14 Service Officers:

District 14 - Bill Wright - 254-338-3944

Listed below are links that will help you in your claim.